Wednesday 19 March 2008

Hastings Music Festival

Well I'm not getting a lot of crafting done at the moment which is a bit frustrating, but I take the view its not worth knocking yourself out trying to fit in something which is supposed to be fun... I might get a bit done later or if not, over the weekend, but if I don't bear with me, normal service will hopefully be resumed shortly! Anyway, this is a proud mummy post rather than a crafting post so you'll have to indulge me for a bit! We've spent the afternoon at the Hastings Music Festival where the Dance and Drama Studio that Bel (and I) attend was performing in the "Mime telling a story - all ages" catagory. This one was children only (they range from about 7 to 13 or so) and I hadn't even seen it so I wasn't sure what to expect (Bel's never been one of these children who is always showing off bits at home!) They were actually the only entrants in that catagory but that didn't mean an automatic win (a good thing I think), they had to get at least 85 points for a first place. Well we sat in the balcony at the White Rock Theatre (bearing in mind it is considerably bigger than The Stables theatre where we have our show each year) not knowing quite what to expect - then they were announced.... and it was brilliant! It was entitled "Shipwreck" and showed exactly that, a group getting shipwrecked, ending up on an island and finally trying to hail a passing ship and failing.... very dramatic! I've known some of the children in it since they were 4 or so and I have to say they surprised me, they really were impressive and Bel who has struggled at times at dancing because of the concentration problems linked to her dyslexia was as good as any of them :-) They were followed by a School group also doing a mime in the 10-14 years catagory and I have to say I thought they weren't as good. I think you could tell our group were dancers as well as the choreography was excellent.

Then it was time for the Adjudicator to announce the results, she was extremely complimentary about our group and gave them.... 87 points! A first place with honours! She criticised the school group (in the nicest possible way) that some of their movements (pretending to drink etc) weren't clear which is something she had complimented our group on. They got 84, so no first place for them. All in all a very good day :-)

2 comments:

gillyflower said...

just passing through just thought i would have a nosey
great blog
hope you have time for your crafting again soon
gill

Poker Reviews said...

Really and as I have not thought about it earlier